||Senator Ben Nelson's
Baked Cowboy Beans
- 3 lbs Italian sausage
- 8 oz bacon
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large green peppers, cut into rings
- 3 large cans Van Kamp Pork & Beans, drained
- 2 tsp smoke flavoring
- Three 12-ounce bottles chili sauce
- One 32-ounce jar of molasses (use 2/3 of it)
- 4 tsp horseradish
- 3 tsp prepared mustard
- Cut up sausage into small chunks and cook until brown. Remove from pan and add chopped onion.
Cook onion until transparent. Mix sausage and onion with remaining ingredients with the exception
of green pepper rings.
- Fry bacon strips, discard excess fat. Pour mixture into a 3-quart casserole dish. Arrange bacon
and green pepper rings on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 1-1/2 hours.
- YIELD: Serves 20 (or 10 hungry cowboys).
cooking page | email
Last updated: October 12, 2010
Photograph from Wikimedia Commons used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.