- 20-40 grape leaves, depending on size
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup dry mint
- 1/2 cup pignoli nuts
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- Dill, optional
- Nutmeg, optional
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- Brown ground beef in a saute pan and discard fat. Add onion, 1 tbsp olive oil, pepper, salt, pignoli nuts, mint,
parsley, dill, dash of nutmeg. Saute over medium heat for 15 minutes. If mixture becomes dry, add a splash of white wine.
- Boil grape leaves until they are soft, but not tender. The time will depend on the leaves. Fresh ones will only take a minute.
Fold grape leaves around small spoonfulls of meat mixture, sealing completely.
- In a large pot (preferably one with a large surface area on the bottom), add 1 tbsp olive oil and arrange rolled
dolmades on top. Do this all at once, not as you roll them. Pour 3-4 cups water or chicken broth over dolmades, cover, and simmer for an hour.
- Arrange on a large plate, garnish with lemon wheels and serve.
cooking page | email
Last updated: November 1, 2010
Photograph from Wikimedia Commons used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.